Wednesday, March 23, 2005



through a glass darkly



(photo: Josef Koudelka)

I can't exactly remember what st paul's point was in that letter to the corinthians about the differences in perception betwen childhood and maturity, but I've always taken it as meaning that there's an all-too-brief window of clarity, as childhood comes to an end and the realities of adulthood are beginning to emerge, into the real nature of things, which, with the increasing complexities and compromises of adult interrelationships, becomes correspondingly occluded and compromised, so that that clarity of vision is replaced by another, and that we struggle to look through the glass darkly, whereas before it was as clear as if nothing were there between.
I'm reminded of that because I've just noticed that a young man - who describes himself as a poet - from somewhere in Ohio, I think, has named me as his favourite photographer in one of those profile lists in a kind of live journal site called deviant art. furthermore, he's included three of my photographs in his online pinboard-gallery, which wouldn't be remarkable, were it not for the fact that, amongst the twenty or so other photographs in his gallery - all of them interesting, if unfamiliar, images - are two of my own personal faves - one by Henri Cartier-Bresson and the other (I'm looking at it on my own - real - pinboard right now) the amazing photograph of a black dog in the snow at the parc du château de Sceaux by Josef Koudelka (above). my point being that, as far as young Zack of Ohio is concerned, the scoring in his personal pantheon of great photographers of the twentieth century goes Bresson - 1 : Koudelka - 1 : Melancholy Rhino - 3. which is patently absurd, but as thrilling as all Corinthia to someone who regards himself, if truth were told, as one of the twentieth century's most minor, and most disregardable fuckups.
so thank you, Zack, for making my day - however delusional that might be.
one small thing that kind of redresses the imbalance of hubris: whereas he's posted the images, he's not bothered saying who took any of them, so everyone on his board - including Henri and Josef - is rocking in the same boat of web-based anonymity. which is exactly as it should be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Аn impressiνe ѕhare! I have just forwardeԁ this onto a
friend who has been сonducting а little reѕeаrch on
this. Аnd he aсtually οrdered me dinner ԁue tο
thе fact that I found it for him... lol. So allow me tο reword
this.... Thank YOU foг the meal!! Βut yeah,
thanks for spendіng time tо ԁiscuss thіs
іssue here on your blog.

Also visit my web pagе ephedrine alkaloids

Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsoldesk.fotopages.com/]sac longchamps[/url] You may also want to add half a cup of oatmeal. If you want, you can also have about three tablespoons of peanut butter. Finally, you will need an old mesh bag used for onions and garlic. My Bag features a sturdy tote bag in a color, brown with pink, or brown with blue. My Bag also includes an insulated snack box, an insulated medicine box, a clean clothes bag, a dirty clothes Save up 60% when shopping Mulberry Brynmore For Macbook Pro Leather Messenger Bag Brown for Men at our Mulberry outlet. bag, a soiled clothes bag with a laundry bag insert (the cutest a shoe bag, a pajama bag (babies sleep safest in blanket sleepers and no blanket in daycare!), a pillow and blanket, complete with a handy hook for hanging it up at daycare. As you can see in the accompanying photo, each bag is labeled and has a picture.
[url=http://hujqingra.webgarden.com/]sac longchamp[/url] The only two things you need to make microwave popcorn at home are the popcorn kernels and a brown paper lunch bag. Your grocer should have a selection of Mulberry Outlet online offer you high level quality, Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's East West Bayswater Leather Shoulder Brown Bag, at a low price. Fast Delivered! kernels to choose from, and if you are lucky that selection will include Organic kernels if you choose to go that route. The average price I have found in my area is $1.99 for a 2 lb bag which will net you 26 4-cup (popped) servings.
[url=http://longchamppliagea.webnode.nl/]sacs longchamps[/url] Along with ladies apparel and handbags, you can shop a range of other products at this store like apparels for men and kids, footwear, Sunglasses, watches, accessories and cosmetics. The best part of shopping online at this store is that it offerssome of the extraordinary and stylish products that you might not get at physical stores. Another best part of shopping at MajorBrands is the genuinely of its products, the store offers fresh and genuine bebe products thus you can count on them for high quality. Dooney and Bourke (named after Peter Dooney and Frederic Bourke) started their company Dooney and Bourke (imagine that). The company was created in a pretty large town called Norwalk, Connecticut in 1975. They are well known Adorable Mulberry Women's Smaller Bayswater Printed Leather Shoulder Black Bag with big discount for their Dooney Handbags and wallets..

Anonymous said...

Hello to child on this bonny forum. Meet me advance myself. I am doktor and i am event this website :
fue sacekimi
Waiting after all these friends.
Best regards

Anonymous said...

It is a pity, that now I can not express - I am late for a meeting. I will return - I will necessarily express the opinion.
I am very grateful to you for the information. It very much was useful to me.
I think, that you commit an error. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
And how in that case to act?
Rather valuable idea

[url=http://shenenmaoyipo.angelfire.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.livejournal.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyizzz.tripod.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyipp.fashionblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://michaelkorscheap2.exteen.com/20130116/how-to-create-a-handbag-collection][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

Anonymous said...

Excuse, I have thought and have removed this phrase
No, I cannot tell to you.
I congratulate, very good idea
Certainly. And I have faced it.
I think, that you commit an error. I can prove it.

[url=http://gallary.simper.im/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=275130][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://bidwindeals.com/blogs/viewstory/64622][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://chunpeng.info/viewthread.php?tid=3315729&extra=][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://pinlin.info/viewthread.php?tid=154280&extra=][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://xlnynysy.com/bbs/showtopic-317396.aspx][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]